Caring, Professional and Ethical

Photo of Mary Beth Mock

Why might a child custody order be changed?

On Behalf of | Apr 22, 2022 | Child Custody

If you share a child with a former partner, Indiana law recognizes that you have a right to be active in that child’s life. However, it’s worth noting that this is only true if doing so is in your son or daughter’s best interest. If necessary, the terms of an initial custody order will be modified to ensure that this is the case.

Have you recently moved?

In many cases, parents are denied custody of their children simply because they live too far away. However, if you move closer to your child, it may be easier to obtain custody rights to a son or daughter. It’s also possible that you were denied custody rights because you lived in a small home or in a dangerous neighborhood. In such a scenario, moving to a better part of town may make it easier to have a stronger relationship with your kid.

Are there new concerns about the other parent?

A child custody order may be modified if there are concerns about how your partner acts while around your children. For instance, if this person has started using drugs or alcohol, it may impact their ability to be a reliable guardian. The same might be true if they have recently stopped working, leaves the children unsupervised or engages in other activities that could jeopardize their wellbeing.

If you are not granted custody of your children, you will likely be given generous visitation rights to them. Ideally, you will do whatever it takes to be a strong presence in their lives as it can help them adjust to life in a fractured household. Furthermore, it may increase your chances of obtaining physical custody of your kids at some point in the future.